Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Jesus, the First and the Last.

      People will often pose the question, "Where in the Bible does Jesus say, 'I am God, worship me?'" While that explicit statement is not found in the scriptures, at least not in those words, Jesus does make claims to His divinity in numerous places. One such place is found in the first chapter of Revelation.


I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, 

saith the Lord, which is, and which was,

and which is to come, the Almighty.

Rev 1:8 KJV


     In this verse we see the eternity of God. He has always existed, and always will. One thing that I have always struggled to wrap my mind around is the fact that God has no beginning. He has always been. No one, or no thing has created God. There has been no time where He did not exist. That thought leaves somewhat of a holy mystery to the person and being of God.


     John writes in this book that he was in the spirit on the Lord's day when he heard a great voice behind him (Rev 1:10). 

     I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last:  and what thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea

(Rev 1:11 KJV).


     The voice John heard behind him was the voice of Jesus. So here we have a statement that Jesus makes. He claims to be the Alpha and Omega, the first and the  last.  John is overwhelmed by the appearance of the glorified Christ and falls at His feet as dead. 

     And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 

     I am he that liveth, and was dead: and behold, I am alive forevermore, Amen; and I have the keys of hell and of death (Rev 1:17-18 KJV).


     Jesus is making a bold statement here. There can hardly be any doubt as to what He is implying. In making this claim of Himself, Jesus draws on several scriptures found in Isaiah. Lets take a look at them, it will help us in our understanding of what Jesus meant. 


     Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, am the first, and with the last; I am he (Isaiah 41:4 KJV). 


    Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me (Isaiah 43:10 KJV).


     Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God (Isaiah 44:6 KJV).


     Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last (Isaiah 48:12 KJV).


     The above verses quoted out of Isaiah all refer to the LORD, the eternal one. There is no doubt that this is speaking of God. God affirms in these quotations that He is the first, the last, and there is no other. He is God, the only God. therefore by applying these verses to Himself, Jesus in no uncertain terms is claiming to be Yehovah God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The eternal one who has existed from eternity past, who is, and is yet to come. 


     

     

     



     


     

No comments:

Post a Comment